What is Dyslexia?
Duration: 15 minutes
Intended Audience: District Leaders, Early Learning Teachers (Birth-5 yrs), Elementary Teachers, ESOL Teachers, Instructional Coaches/Coordinators, MTSS Team, Paraprofessionals, School Leaders, Special Education Teachers
In this video, we provide an overview of commonly used definitions of dyslexia and delineate characteristics that may be present from early childhood through the upper elementary grades. In addition, we dispel dyslexia-related myths and take a peek inside the reading brain.
Upon completion of this video, viewers will be able to:
• state the two primary characteristics of dyslexia.
• explain the relationship between the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA, 2004) category of specific learning disability and dyslexia.
• dispel common dyslexia-related myths.
• describe how neurological research confirms differences in the brain activation patterns of individuals with dyslexia and those without dyslexia.
• delineate early indicators of dyslexia as well as describe secondary outcomes associated with older students with dyslexia.
• explain the “Simple View of Reading.”
To report an issue with the event link, please email the event contact.
Primary Contact: Jennifer Lindstrom - firstname.lastname@example.org
DOE Office: Teaching & Learning
Topics: Co-Teaching, English Language Arts, ESOL, MTSS, Reading/Literacy, Special Education
Event Type: Recorded Webinar
Webinar URL: https://app.gadoe.org/TRLThumbnails/Scripts/Player.html?url=https%3a%2f%2fequellamediasvc-usea.streaming.media.azure.net%2fe16a97c7-28ce-4fa6-aef6-8da517571875%2fVideo1%2520WhatIsDyslexia.ism%2fmanifest&cc=https%3a%2f%2fequellamediasvc-usea.streaming.media.azure.net%2fe16a97c7-28ce-4fa6-aef6-8da517571875%2ftranscript.vtt&poster=https%3a%2f%2fequellamediasvc-usea.streaming.media.azure.net%2fe16a97c7-28ce-4fa6-aef6-8da517571875%2fScreenshot-Video1%2520WhatIsDyslexia-000001.jpg
Date Recorded: Apr 12, 2022